Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Review: Waking the Witch


Waking the Witch
Waking the Witch by Kelley Armstrong

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



This book begins a set of three Savannah-centric stories. I was never a big fan of the cocky teenage witch/warlock/demon hybrid, but I’m hoping that she grows on me now that she’s out of her teen angst phase.

Savannah has been left alone to keep an eye on the business while Paige and Lucas are away on a rare vacation. Yes, she’s still the cocky kid we know and love to hate on, but she’s showing signs of being more responsible (or at least not starting any race wars in the coming months…). When one of Lucas’s contacts (confirmed via photo file) asks for help with a case nearby, Savannah jumps at the chance to prove herself a worthwhile employee (and more than a receptionist). She fights for all the leads she gets, tries to balance her gut reactions with legitimate investigative work, and tries not to be too much of a schoolgirl about her crush on Adam. I really thought we’d get a little further with the Adam story, to be honest, but I guess this was more about Savannah’s development and the plot itself. Fooey. At least we get some good mystery and crime-fighting action thrown in to make up for the lack of romance.

I am really glad that Savannah got knocked around a little in this one. I’m sure she’s just going through some growing pains, but the ego was out of control in this story. Also, if you’re looking for a solid wrap-up and HEA, this book will not give you that. It reads as a standalone (plot-wise), but the overall story certainly leaves a lot up in the air at the end. If the next book wasn’t available, I would’ve been more than a little upset. Yes, I want Adam and Savannah to live happily ever after, but I sure do want her to learn some lessons before we get there. I guess that’s the ultimate goal in this book. It could be titled “Savannah, grow up.”




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment