Monday, December 8, 2014

Review: Personal Demon


Personal Demon
Personal Demon by Kelley Armstrong

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Hope is the central character in this story. We met her in a few of the previous books, but she has certainly never had such a main role. To balance this jarring change from the “formula,” the POV is changes between Hope and Lucas. While it was nice to see where Lucas and Paige are, this book threw Lucas into a whole bunch of trouble. I guess we’ll see where this goes, but I suppose it gave a good push to the overall Cabal storyline.

Hope is, as we know, the daughter of Lucifer. Gifted with a heightened chaos sense (which at first seemed kind of lame) appears to be a really good selling point for her to the council, the Cabals, and (apparently) rogue Cabal gangs. Lucas’s father approaches Hope at the start of this story to offer her a way to close out her debt. In the history of things, it was actually Karl and Hope’s debt, but being the wannabe tough chick that she is, she absorbs it without even mentioning it to Karl. The Hope/Karl love story has been building for a little bit, but I wasn’t 100% sold on seeing Karl as anything but a killer/businessman werewolf… until this story. The book does a really good job convincing me that this horrible guy is actually a perfect love interest for Hope.

As far as the gang story, Hope uses her reporter skills and her chaos skills really well (maybe too well) and might actually make herself into another sleuthing council representative (like Paige and Lucas). She infiltrates the gang with ease and probably could have solved whatever mystery was happening if there weren’t tons of shocking reveals involved. To be honest, I was more interested in Karl and Hope for the majority of the story (and some super sexy chaos demon sex) than this Cabal storyline. Towards the end, though, I was completely sucked into the drama. I loved watching Lucas take action and become a real leader. I loved being baffled by the mystery plot. I loved all of it, which is really the only reason I can get behind this book in the series being mostly about a side character. It really moved a lot of pieces into place for some good action to come.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment