Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Review: Living with the Dead


Living with the Dead
Living with the Dead by Kelley Armstrong

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I had a lot of trouble getting through this book. While I love the series, I am not in love with these characters. I found it difficult to care about what happened to this group of new people. Will the next book continue with them? We didn’t even get a HEA…

This book bounces back and forth between 4 POVs: Hope (who we met in the last book), Robyn (who we meet in this book), Finn (who we meet in this book), and Adele (who is a bad guy we meet in this book). Hope and Karl are visiting LA on a “work exchange,” that she orchestrated to check on her friend Robyn. Robyn lost her husband suddenly 6 months ago and hasn’t quite gotten out of the depression spiral. She can find a way to swing just about anything back around to memories of her husband. Taking a job as the PR rep for a minor celebrity hasn’t really helped things either. Her celebrity is killed and Robyn is set up as the likely suspect. While on the run, Hope and Karl aim to assist but things never actually go as planned. We did, however, get some good cameos and name dropping along the way.

I think the real point of this book was the proper introduction of clairvoyants as a supernatural race. While we’ve seen them before, this showed the darker side, complete with abusive cult mentality. There’s torture, rape, and brainwashing just to name a few things that we encounter in their world. Maybe the best thing to come out of the book was Rhys, who I hope shows up again to be further fleshed out. While not my favorite book of the series, I suppose this is a necessary step to set up some sort of massive supernatural war?




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment