Saturday, December 3, 2016

Review: Vengeance Be Mine

Vengeance Be Mine Vengeance Be Mine by Louisa Lo
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Wow - what a weird and wild world this book threw me into! I think I was expecting vengeance demons to be something out of Buffy, but boy was I wrong!

Megan is studying to become a vengeance demon (this is a thing) and trying to convince everyone that her half-trickster status isn't slowing her down. It might help if she didn't tend to get into trouble most days. Even her pre-graduation vengeance assignments end up somehow going awry. Restoring cosmic balance is a harder job than I thought. Somehow, she manages to get placed into the co-op program but the trouble doesn't stop following her (or originating from her?).

For me, the reader, things started looking up after things were really messed up for Megan. Introduce a yummy love interest! OK, so I might be making up the love interest part (the book doesn't fully deliver a romance, really), but either way, the characters we meet in the second half of the book were what kept me reading. There was so much backstabbing, deception, twists, turns, and betrayal that it felt nice to have some sparkly new characters to balance it all out. Overall, this book is definitely an intro to Megan's insane world, but doesn't wrap up neatly into a standalone package. There's so much madness introduced in this book that I almost expected it to go on forever trying to tie it all up!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment