Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Review: Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic

Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic by Meghan Ciana Doidge
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What a delightfully surprising read! I can honestly say that I've never read another book with quite this type of magic. I am in love with this world and will definitely be checking out more from this author!

Jade is definitely unique. She's half witch and has been turning her magic into cupcakes. Her shop's business is booming, and with her spare time, she makes trinkets (I love that word). They don't appear to be magical, but it's something she does to pass the time. Her adopted sister, Sienna, is also part witch, but has a bit more powerful magic in the form of binding. Between the two of them and a powerful grandmother, they round out the Godfrey family in Vancouver. Things appear normal - Jade being dateless and her sister having a magical necromancing boyfriend, when a night at the club turns everything upside down. I guess it probably started with the vampire at her shop, but it really took a turn at the club.

There's a murder mystery at the heart of the story, but I was definitely more interested in the magic. Oh, and the cupcakes. But mostly the magic. Jade's magic just sounds like fun! She gets to try to find new and interesting ways to use it along the way, and ultimately ends up being a much tougher witch by the end of the story. If this is only our first taste of Jade, I cannot wait to see where she ends up!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment