Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Review: The Chance Encounter

The Chance Encounter The Chance Encounter by William Watkins
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This short story was quickly addictive. I've been cruising through short stories in an effort to get exposure to other authors and this one was definitely one of the standouts so far.

We are told this story by an enigma of a narrator. He leaves hints about some horrible thing that happened in the past, but we nonetheless are appreciative of his sarcasm and wit throughout the tale. Dan and Jenny meet at a swanky club, defying the odds of them actually meeting in life. Their vastly different jobs and lifestyles would have certainly kept them in separate social circles. Lucky (or unlucky) for them, they met, had a one night stand (the chance encounter), and parted ways.

I loved the ultimate end of this story, that I won't give away, but I think most people who appreciate the unexpected will appreciate this short tale. It left me wanting more from this author, which is probably the ultimate goal of any short book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment