Thursday, September 19, 2013

Review: Into the Dreaming


Into the Dreaming
Into the Dreaming by Karen Marie Moning

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Since I'm a bit of a stickler about completing a series, I had to dive into this one as the last of the Highlander books. In retrospect, I wish I had stopped at #7.

I'm not saying that this book (or really, novella) is horrible. It wasn't nearly as bad as some other stuff I've picked up in the past. The problem is that the previous book really felt like it was building on the larger Highlander world, had a good balance of smut and story, and was filled with good characters. This book felt a lot like a shorter version of one of the earlier Highlander books.

This book has a lot of tongue in cheek moments (the main character is a romance writer, ha), but what might have almost won me over was the Unseelie King and the Seelie Queen scenes. I wish there was more of their interaction, history, and (I can't believe I have to ask for this in a Highlander book) more smut. I'm not reading these books for some genius plotline or original ideas. The formula should have been simple. 1 Highlander + Woman + Fairies + Smut = Highlander Book #X. This book gave us a highlander, a woman, some fairies, but just a whole bunch of teasing without a lot of payoff.

This review really makes me come off as some sort of smut crazed lunatic, but I feel like 7 books in I should be able to predict generally what I get.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment