Saturday, December 3, 2016

Review: Kitty's Big Trouble

Kitty's Big Trouble Kitty's Big Trouble by Carrie Vaughn
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book was somewhere between 3 and 4 stars for me. I honestly don't think you even need to have read the previous books to dive into this one, 9 books into the series. I guess that says something about the series as a whole. Sure, there's some changes in characters, but the overall storyline can easily be followed no matter where you start. I took a large break between books and was easily able to catch on.

So, Kitty is back again and in "big trouble" (as opposed to the normal trouble she is in for each previous book, I guess). The story is pretty easy to explain - Kitty and her "pack" get asked to help Anastasia steal something before Roman does. It honestly doesn't matter what in the end, because (as usual) Kitty gets drawn into lots of supernatural drama along the way. There's vampires, magic, mythology, and lots of trouble. I love Kitty's sarcastic radio personality, but when it comes to going about her daily life, I find it a little frustrating. Does she really not learn anything from her previous adventures?

The fun parts of the book where really the interview aspects. Kitty meets a lot of interesting people and loves poking at them for information. The stories they provide are really the basis for my enjoyment of the book. It gave me exposure to some paranormal aspects that aren't common in other books while keeping me hooked with tiny bits of sarcastic Kitty coming out. Oh, and I also audio booked this, which was an odd mix of enjoying the book and just being reminded of the Hollows books that the narrator also read.

All in all, I'm aiming to complete this series because that's how I am. Honestly, I could take or leave most of these books. In order to really hook me, something big would have to happen (and not just Kitty's typical "big trouble") - I'm talking about Ben getting killed level big thing. Maybe things will change moving forward.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment