Monday, July 8, 2013

Grasping at Eternity (The Kindrily, #1)

Grasping at Eternity (The Kindrily, #1)Grasping at Eternity by Karen Amanda Hooper
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have to admit - I read this book without reading a single book summary. I just dove in blind, hoping for the best.

This book really put me through hell and back again with the trials of this epic love story! Don't get me wrong, there is mystery and there is a lot of grand story arc setup going on, but most of all, it is a really beautiful love story.

I fell in love with poor Nathan, who seems to suffer for almost every page of this book one way or another. I understand that we're supposed to hope for a big picture reasoning behind why he is made to suffer, but at times I just wanted to cry for him. So much epic love story sadness is thrown at the reader that I almost didn't want to pick the book back up after chapters from his POV. I did, of course, because I'm a glutton for punishment, but eventually you'd get another Maryah chapter that would make me understand her motivation a little better (probably better than Nathan at most points in the book).

This book is the first of hopefully many in this interesting new world of reincarnation and Elements. I was surprised at how much setup the author managed to accomplish without it getting boring or overly monotonous. Thank goodness we get a happy ending at the finish, otherwise I might have had a hard time getting the courage to read book 2 (which is in my "to-read" shelf right now). There's only so much suffering and emo a girl can take before it breaks her. The payoff is totally worth the "suffering" in this case. I highly recommend this book for those of you looking for an epic love story!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment