Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Review: Dead Ever After


Dead Ever After
Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Okay, now I knew going into this book that it would be rough. After not really liking the previous few books in this series (after she started destroying characters and story that I loved), I wasn't really sure how I'd feel about this one. I borrowed it from the library on audiobook because I didn't really want to buy it.

This book wasn't as bad as the previous ones, but it could just be that I fell into the trap of this being the last book of the series. The author does some in your face things, like tying up any and all loose ends for any character you have ever thought of in relation to Sookie. For example, What happened to Quinn? Wasn't he a giant jerk and then some random cameo in the previous book? Well you get to see where he ends up. What about Alcide? Is he happy? Is Mustafa gay? What ever happened to Barry? Where's Steve Newlin? The list goes on and on. I was happy to see where everyone ended up, but it felt like one big epilogue. For a series that I absolutely loved, and was the reason I got back into reading in a big way, it felt... cheap.

Eric, who the author had essentially ruined a few books ago, continued his downward spiral in this book. We learn bad things, then we learn good things -- I get it, Charlaine Harris, you want to redeem yourself, but I don't buy it. He was one of the greatest romantic characters in this series that seriously lacks them, and now he's an afterthought.

I have to admit that I didn't solve the mystery of who was behind all the badness in this book. I guess we weren't supposed to, but when it was revealed my reaction was "meh" -- so many people hate Sookie at this point that I thought it would be a bigger bad. I guess that about sums up the book -- meh. At least I don't have to read any more of these and I certainly won't be picking up any of her other books. I gave it 3 stars because it wasn't poorly written, just was not a good read in general. When it finished I just shrugged and moved on to another book.



SPOILER ALERT:

This book was really all about Sookie and her being too stupid to realize that Sam wanted her. I guess it was a romance in that respect, but it felt so completely forced that I was just happy when it was over. Sookie essentially redeemed Eric herself when all his worries were proven to be founded on fact. Sigh. Such a waste. From the first chapter I knew where the book was headed and it took way too long to get there.

UPDATE:

I was just about to post this review on Amazon when I saw in the same search ---THERE'S ANOTHER FREAKIN' BOOK! WHAT THE HELL?? It says that it's just a listing of characters and where they end up. Well, that was really what this book was about so I guess I should've just skipped this one and moved on to the next. Yuck. This really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment