Sunday, September 30, 2018

Review: Surviving and Thriving with an Invisible Chronic Illness: How to Stay Sane and Live One Step Ahead of Your Symptoms

Surviving and Thriving with an Invisible Chronic Illness: How to Stay Sane and Live One Step Ahead of Your Symptoms Surviving and Thriving with an Invisible Chronic Illness: How to Stay Sane and Live One Step Ahead of Your Symptoms by Ilana Jacqueline
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have never been one to read anything labeled self help and typically stick to contemporary paranormal romance with few exceptions. After a particularly bad instance of freaking out while trying to self-inject, I decided to look into possibilities for audiobooks that might boost my "endurance" during this RA "race."

Again, I admit to being very hesitant. I've had experiences with support groups online where it just turned into victim blaming - "You need to avoid eating X and you will cure yourself!" or "You need to take Jesus into your heart in order to heal yourself" - so I tried to screen my first self help book pretty carefully. I didn't want to read about "magical cures" or some sort of anti-science garbage, and this book totally fit the bill. It had enough positive messages, scientific references, and general ideology to have me focusing on the message (sometimes even taking notes!).

The chronic illness she talks about is general enough that people of a wide variety of ailments can relate to her story and her recommendations. The recommendations even range from youth into adulthood. I don't think anything contained in here is really shocking or radical, but I was definitely in a bit of a rut and this may have helped me at least have some new brainstorming ideas to discuss with my doctor. I'd recommend this as a quick read (only 5 or so hours in audiobook) for anyone looking for a different perspective on their illness.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment