Monday, September 17, 2018

Review: Magic Triumphs

Magic Triumphs Magic Triumphs by Ilona Andrews
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I admittedly was dragging my feet at reading this one. I was sad to say goodbye to these characters, even if I get to see more in the Hugh universe (Hughniverse?). I love Kate for so many reasons and this book delivered.

As if Kate's life wasn't threatened enough by her own father, she has even more problems to deal with (what else is new?). Kate and Curran are now parents, and as much as I usually hate the new kid storyline, I really loved it here. Their kid is exactly what I'd expect from them - already getting into trouble and breaking through boundaries. They are both hiding things (as usual) but still in their awesome relationship. So what's the big bad? Well, here's a hint - it involves fire and lots of death. Destroying their enemy means they have to call in all their favors and create some sort of mega-alliance. It's a nice ending to the series, getting to see all the familiar faces and watching them work with (or fight) one another.

There are some twist and turns, some surprises, and some secrets around how the two sets of books work together, but all in all, exactly the type of ending this series deserves. Things are relatively wrapped up, at least for Kate, and I guess we get more books from yet another narrator? That remains to be seen. There were some characters I wish we had spent more time with, but I am still hoping we get to circle back around at some point. I was particularly bummed about a few off-screen death scenes that seemed like cheating the reader a bit, but what do I know about writing big battle scenes? I'm happy with where the pieces fell, not too sad about the body count, and looking forward to more from this author in the future (with this set of characters, probably).

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment