Sunday, September 30, 2018

Review: Race of Thieves

Race of Thieves Race of Thieves by S.M. Reine
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I am a die hard Reine fan and have read all the previous books in this world/universe/timeline/etc. That being said, I think you can pretty much dive into this world wherever as it resets and changes dynamics continually. Yes, there are references or names I caught and had a little smile or chuckle over, but it's 100% not necessary for bizarre enjoyment of this book.

This book is definitely the start of a whole new series. The feel, the amount of smut, the witty banter all combines to a bit of a new take on this post-genesis world. Shatter Cage is a shifter with delusions of being a soon-to-be hero. He's hiding his squirrel shifter heritage behind the mask of a phoenix and he's living like a millionaire in a rundown movie theater. His partner, Vex, was a highlight for me, and helped me crawl through the frustrating parts of Shatter's story. His small-time stealing ends up showing some real promise at attracting a dream job, but he isn't the only "applicant."

Brigid is a fellow thief who shared a sordid past with Shatter, complete with whips and chains. The rivalry between them is constantly escalating and it was 100% enjoyment to watch. This book read like a comedy, an action heist flick, and a paranormal romance gone awry. I'm not even sure I can sum up the actual plot, but the characters were so unique and interesting that the pages flew by. If you have any interest in any of the above genres, then this is definitely worth a read. Fair warning - there are some yucky parts, some dark parts, and some smutty parts thrown in here. If any of those things aren't for you, you've been fairly warned!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment