Thursday, November 21, 2013

Review: The Fiery Heart


The Fiery Heart
The Fiery Heart by Richelle Mead

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I have a really hard time reading these books. I am in love with Adrian and Sydney's relationship, and really I'm just in love with Adrian. Having the alternating Sydney/Adrian POVs was amazing. It was everything I dreamed of and more. That being said, of course you can't just have a book about Adrian and Sydney loving one another and living happily ever after. Knowing this was the most torturous part of the reading experience.

We pick up right where we left off at the end of last book. Sydney is hiding her relationship from her sister. She is also still progressing rapidly in her magical studies. Heartbreak still abounds for the teens and tweens of Amberwood. Adrian still delivers the best one liners, but is starting to lose the battle with his use of spirit. As if Sydney wasn't trying to juggle enough, she finds out that her parents are getting a divorce and her father expects her to slander her mother in court so he can get custody.

There's a lot of other side stories that get progressed in this book, but for me, it was all about Adrian and Sydney. Their relationship really grows into a genuine, real life relationship (minus the sneaking around). Adrian's poetic musings made me sigh aloud. There were some truly heart-breakingly beautiful things he says to Sydney during their stolen time together. As much as I enjoyed reading about how much they loved one another, I spent most of my time waiting for something horrible to happen. Things just don't work out for Richelle Mead's characters on the first try, so I was expecting bad news from about the 50% mark on. I thought I'd give myself an ulcer by the time I got to the end. I know that to enjoy the good you have to have some bad thrown in there, but it still pained me to know it would have to be coming.

Even without getting a HEA, this was still a really great read for the Adrian/Sydney fans. We got a healthy dose of Adrian's awesomeness and a whole bunch of relationshippy goodness. Yes, there are troubles, but where would the series be if all the loose ends had already been tied up? I'll eagerly pick up the next book, even though I'm sure it will break my heart, too. It's worth it for the highs (although now I'm starting to sound like a spirit user...).



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment