Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Review: 1001 Dark Nights: Bundle Ten

1001 Dark Nights: Bundle Ten 1001 Dark Nights: Bundle Ten by Tessa Bailey
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book of somewhat short stories (some very long) was a massive read for me. I honestly picked it up for the Demonica novella (Z), but decided I’d try to expose myself to some different authors and read the entire book. I’m just going to briefly touch on each book/story and generally say that this thing was massive. Maybe it was the pacing of having what I felt was a very long and cliffhangery story at the very end, but it left me exhausted upon finishing.

The first story was Rough Rhythm. I have no experience with the author or the series (Made in Jersey), but it was a good and dirty read. All these stories had a dirty element, either in the sexy times or whatever they generally get off on. The main characters have a big age difference and are coworkers of a sort. This one involved consent, so if that bothers you, I’d skip this one.

The next story was Devoted from another new author for me. This was a really good story for me – it had all the elements I like and even jammed a true storyline in. The main characters are competing CEOs, but only one of them knows it. When they are paired together in a D/S class, they start accumulating secrets that are brought to light and reconciled in an awesome way. I definitely would recommend this one.

Next was the story that I was looking forward to - Z. Sadly, I was a little disappointed by the rushed and awkward story. We’ve got a fallen angel looking for the reincarnation of his lost love and a soul magnet who are from opposite ends of the spectrum. I just really didn’t like Z much at all. I found myself wondering why Vex would even end up with him. For completion sake, I’m glad that I read it, but it probably wasn’t necessary and will make me evaluate whether I need to pick up all the side stories of this series.

Falling Under You was the next story, part of a trilogy I have not read any other books in. The main characters are a high powered boss and her assistant. Again with the dirty, but in a role reversal sort of way. I really liked this one, although it started off slow.

Craving his Command was another new author for me, but I can easily see that the characters from the club must have their own books in the series. We join Mercy as she tries to get justice for what an evil, sadistic man inflicted upon her. While running from said man, she ends up in the arms of a truly conflicted one. The romance here is a reluctant D/S trainer and the woman who could very easily be his sub. This one left me a little sad, but was an engaging read.

American Queen was the last story in this bundle. It was also, I think, the longest and the only one with a real cliffhanger. I found that combination to be endlessly frustrating, but maybe that’s just me. This story involves the President, Vice President, and a girl who just wants love. Yes, it’s dirty and involves all three of them. The timeline flip flops around and, again, there is a very real cliffhanger at the end.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment