Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Review: Blood & Ash

Blood & Ash Blood & Ash by Deborah Wilde
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is the best book I've read in a while, and I never give out 5 star ratings. If you took Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan and Jessica Jones, and they had a wonderfully snarky woman-baby, Ash would be it!

Ash is a mundane (or at least we all see her start the book that way) private investigator, in a world full of magical people. They are divided into Houses, and her old frenemy, Levi, is the leader of the local one. While following one of her client's kids on a failed B&E, she gets bonked on the head, starting an awesome and terrifying series of events. What began as a simple "is my kid doing drugs" case turns into a magical kidnapping ring investigation. Throw in mysterious powers manifesting, magical smears, and enough sexual chemistry to light the world on fire and you've got the very busy life and times of Ash.

This book built a world that had me completely hooked. There are alternate dimensions on top of what is already a rich and magical universe. There is a wonderful combination of theology and fantasy without jamming it down your throat. There was enough steampunk to be believable without it being obnoxious and silly. I could go on forever! I would read this book again and again, but instead will eagerly await the next installment. There's another one, right? Please?



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment