Sunday, February 11, 2018

Review: Shadow Hunt

Shadow Hunt Shadow Hunt by Melissa F. Olson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Wow! This might be my new favorite book in this world. Things that I think helped it make the top of that list? Shadow is essentially the main character in this book, we got to visit with some of my other favorite characters, and there were *significantly* less bad decisions. Don't get me wrong, there are still some bad decisions, but they aren't as "slap your head" as some previous ones have been. Is Scarlett finally growing up? Or learning? I hope so. Overall, I think everyone is just... where they should be.

So - we join Scarlett immediately after the revelation at the end of the previous book. If you haven't read any of the other books - what are you doing here?!? Don't start here. I guess I can avoid that shocker of a spoiler, but it pretty much drives all the decisions from the start of the book to the end. This "thing" makes Scarlett abruptly leave town, leaving Jesse to make the one bad decision I talked about. We get to see our favorite familiar faces, learn about some history (there's a bit of that in this book), and then rush back to save the day (as always).

So what other things made me love this book? Scarlett really... steps up. She's less along for the ride and more the leader of the team. She doesn't take any crap from anyone in this book, even if they are at a severe advantage. I *loved* that! Also, the romance was a neat surprise, but not all that much of the story. I mentioned Shadow, right? Shadow is also *amazing*! I can't say enough good things about Shadow. There was also a phenomenal action sequence towards the end of the book that had me smiling from ear to ear. Go team Scarlett (or Team Shadow?)!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment