Sunday, January 9, 2022

Poison in the Blood

Poison in the Blood (Bad Witch: The Emily Chronicles, #1)Poison in the Blood by Robyn Bachar
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I am going to add a disclaimer that historical fiction is not my genre of choice. Something about the extra skirting and manners just irks me. That being said, I added this book to my queue because I really enjoyed the other series related to the two stars here and was hoping for the same feelings.

This set of 2 stories is really different, so be prepared. Emily is a sheltered sort of woman, as is expected from her time period. She is, however, wasting her seer abilities playing matchmaker for magicians. At a party of such magicians, she ends up being drawn into a murder mystery that sets her whole life in motion. She finds her soul mate, starts a rocky relationship with his mentor, and gets the satisfaction of solving a mystery. This sets up the true romance between Michael and Emily.

The second story is longer and deals with a guardian run investigation, more soul mates, and very dark deeds. Emily is in her marriage, but a bit adrift. Her husband has just been turned and she no longer finds satisfaction and a clear path for her future. Lucky for us all, she is a seer. Her gifts give her the appropriate nudges to put her in the right direction for later books to happen. I even softened a bit to the big bad Simon by the end.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment