Wednesday, September 15, 2021

No Rest for the Wicked

No Rest for the Wicked (Immortals After Dark, #2)No Rest for the Wicked by Kresley Cole
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I've got to admit that I stuck my toe in the waters of this series at book 1 and gave up immediately. It seemed too forced/rapey for me to continue and/or enjoy the rest. In a determined struggle to complete a series, though, I ended up reading a short story that takes place almost parallel to this one and was pleasantly surprised. Since I didn't have another audiobook downloaded, I gave this one a shot, and was satisfied enough with it to continue the series after it.

This book can most definitely be read as a standalone (as shown by my taking a many year break between, which may as well have been starting at this book). We join Kaderin, who is hunting down a vampire, as Valkyries do. She gave up her emotions a long time ago, so nothing should stop her from ending his life. Of course, they end up somehow blooded/fated/brided? Which really just means that he gets his heartbeat back and they begin a struggle that can only end in bed. They both have some pretty massive baggage, yet somehow Sebastian is more practical about it all. Maybe because he is the scholar of the group, he manages to outthink other paranormals to get him into a secret game that Kaderin has a long history of winning (and destroying others in).

There's a lot of death defying antics, insane tasks, fun side characters I hope we come back to, and some sexy times, too. This book was surprisingly satisfying, even though you know from the outset that they will end up together. I enjoyed it enough to continue, which says something after my initial reactions to the first book in the series. Here's hoping we get more crazy girls driving guys insane.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment