Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Claimed

Claimed (Lair of the Wolven, #1)Claimed by J.R. Ward
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really don't know what I think about this book. Usually 3 stars means it was OK, but I probably won't continue with the series. I've read all the BDB books and their spinoffs but this was just... weird. And not in an engaging way.

Upon starting this book and getting through the first few chapters, I had to go check to make sure I was actually reading something related to the BDB. I thought maybe I was confused and had picked up some book about a wilderness based scientist who was studying wolves. Then - BAM - we get a single character from the series, her emotional baggage, only to get back to the wilderness for long stretches. Yes, there's a mysterious guy. Yes, there is a murder mystery of sorts and some big bad hotel coming in and destroying things. But... that's it. I couldn't find the paranormal hook that usually catches me. Even the decisions and relationship were just... off.

So - when does the paranormal come together? Well, we go back to Xhex a few times, but get no real payoff there. We get some romance-type-stuff with Lydia (the wilderness girl) and Daniel (the strange guy), along with some unexplained paranormal elements, but you know what else we get? Some really depressing cliffhanger. Boo! I probably won't pick up the next in the series and won't be tempted unless they cross over something big.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment