Friday, January 11, 2019

Review: The Thief

The Thief The Thief by J.R. Ward
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed most of this book. After the huge bummer that the previous short story was, I didn’t exactly have high hopes for this full length book. That being said, the Sola/Assail storyline was a long time coming, so I’m glad it got almost an entire book to focus on delivering.

Assail is where we’ve seen/heard him in the past few stories. He’s losing his mind going through cocaine withdrawals. Sola is hiding from the bad guys all the way down in Florida with her grandmother. When it seems like Assail might actually be dying and not coming back, his cousins end up getting her to come visit him in the hospital. Obviously, these two are destined to be with each other, but the gigantic secret between them is a bit of a hurtle to overcome. Can I mention, as a side note, that Sola’s grandmother is one of my favorite characters of the series? She’s right up there with Fritz. Without those characters I would probably get bored with the broody warriors.

So, what does the author spend the rest of the book on? Well, for one, Sola is right to be “on the run” because the big bad’s sister comes swinging back into town looking into where her brothers have gone to. Second, and more depressingly, V and Jane’s relationship is imploding. I think we saw signs of that along the way, but this was just… bad. Really really bad, and it starts right out that way, so brace yourself for bad times.

Again, I said that after the last short story I might be done with this world, but this was a nice refresher to the series. I like seeing a non-brother get matched up, even if we have to go through a lot of buildup in previous books to get there. And, did I mention Sola’s grandmother? That alone is worth the read.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment