Friday, May 5, 2017

Review: Silence Fallen

Silence Fallen Silence Fallen by Patricia Briggs
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This latest installment of the Mercy Thompson books has really become one of my favorites. I love when Mercy can show how independent and strong she is, and what better way than to separate her from Adam for a short time?

The book obviously needs something to separate Mercy and Adam, and that comes in the form of a kidnapping of sorts. More a maiming and kidnapping, but I genuinely think they assumed she was werewolf tough. Once separated, she’s thrown into some dramatic power play by a European vampire with oodles of baggage and grudges against, well, a lot of people. One seriously old vampire isn’t really a match for Mercy, but the odds are definitely stacked against her. I love that her uniqueness comes into play so much in this story, to show that while she isn’t necessarily the physically toughest supernatural in the room, she can still hold her own.

From Adam’s side, it was refreshing to get into his head as he deals with Mercy’s disappearance. He’s forced to work with some familiar vampires, and even throws in the goblins for good measure. This was a who’s who from the series and the twist at the end had my head spinning. It also makes me want to go back and re-read this one just to catch all the hints. No spoilers, but this book had a certain… fun, that I really like about these stories. Sure, there’s a bad guy (or guys, or girls, or … OK, there are a lot of people out to get Mercy), but there are even more interesting scenarios that Mercy manages to involve herself in. She’s a chaos magnet, and it was really fun to watch it play out in this story. I didn’t want it to end!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment