Saturday, November 26, 2022

Shadow’s Bane

Shadow's Bane (Dorina Basarab, #4)Shadow's Bane by Karen Chance
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

These books make me feel dumb. There is so much POV swapping that I am completely lost most of the time or the action scenes are so ridiculous that I just stop caring as much. Either way, I think I need a break from Dory/Dorina.

This book was about… a lot of things. The bigger story is about slavers and what they want to deliver as their end game. To get to the resolution here we have to jump through a ton of hoops, each more ridiculous than the last. The good here? Claire’s coming to terms with her awesome abilities. Ray in all his scenes (he is the star here). Mircea and Dory’s growing relationship. L-C winning prizes for Dory’s “kid.” The trolls being awesome (but a little too political in this one). The bad? As I said above, it was so hard to keep things straight between the insane action scenes with too many combatants, the flip-flopping POV (Dory/Dorina, Dory/Mircea, etc.), or the fact that for all the craziness, nobody important ever dies. I’m going to give the short story after this one a shot, then probably take a break because these books are EXHAUSTING to read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment