Saturday, November 26, 2022

Dragon’s Claw

Dragon's Claw (Dorina Basarab, #4.5)Dragon's Claw by Karen Chance
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I read this shorter story on my kindle (I’ve been doing the books via audible), thinking that maybe I was having an issue with the narration. That wasn’t the case, while I liked that this was a more bite-sized version of the mayhem usually included in the world of Dory, this was still a struggle to finish.

This story is essentially a mystery - how did a bunch of vampires end up dead with bullet holes but no bullets? This ends up taking Dory into a weird alternate dimension with Ray. The Ray parts were definitely the best here. We get some “angel” stuff, some vampire political drama (sigh), some familiar faces, and an ending that left me exhausted and feeling lost again. Maybe I’m reading these wrong and I need to break them into 1 chapter chunks. My typical reading style is +1 hour at a time, which in this type of book adds up to 4 insane fights, 3 POV jumps, and a whole mess of imagery. It manages to make me feel like I read a book an a half by the time I take a break.

The good stuff in this book all had to do with Ray. The bad stuff in this book all had to do with dimensional shifting and politics. I’m definitely taking a break from the series for now.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment