Friday, August 19, 2022

Midnight's Daughter

Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab, #1)Midnight's Daughter by Karen Chance
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

For something that I saw such great reviews for, I'm stuck somewhere between a 3 and a 4 star rating. The world? It's insane and complicated and all the things I love about it in the Cassie series. Here? It's overwhelming, especially as book 1 of a series. We read this for book club and people were definitely lost from the start. It's like they took all the ideas from the primary series and ended up jamming them at us at once. Did we really need time travel, too? Maybe save something for book 2 please.

So, now that I shook out those sillies, what was good? It is always good to see a woman who can kick butt, and Dorina is definitely that. She navigates her complicated family with ease, even with murderous rages and blackouts accounted for. Her dad pairs her with a guy, Louis-Cesare, who is, of course, a vampire. They each have personal motivation to murder Dracula, but ultimately it doesn't matter. The star of the show? The trolls. I could read a whole book about the trolls and what they get up to. That, the interesting weapons, and whatever I'm supposed to imagine "stinky" is. Please tell me this exists, at least in short story format in this series. The ending here is a little rushed, but I'm hoping we really get some good story in the next one now that the world is "established." And trolls.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment