Sunday, December 30, 2018

Review: Shades of Wicked

Shades of Wicked Shades of Wicked by Jeaniene Frost
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Holy crap this was a really good book! After a little consideration (sure, it's not a standalone, but dayahm!) I have it my very rarely given 5 stars, saying I'd re-read this sucker. After the rollercoaster that was the last series in this world, I am happy to report that this book is just... the best!

Remember Ian? If you don't, I guess maybe you should try to get to know him before this book. He has a varied and dark past, having started out in this world as a "bad guy." Things have changed and now he's counting down his time left on this earth before a demon comes to claim his soul. Sounds bad, but Ian reacts in a very Ian way - attending a circus themed orgy. It's here that Veritas, a law guardian finds him.

Veritas also has a lot of secrets in her past, as well as her own secrets pertaining to the Cat/Bones/daughter drama. She's hunted Ian down for mysterious reasons, but they quickly find themselves falling into a comfortable rhythm of law-breaking and magic using. It was just so... fun! Ian's banter is everything you'd expect it to be and I was shocked to discover that Veritas was a good companion to him all along the way.

Admittedly, I spent much of the book waiting for whatever horrible twist to happen. I mean, this is just book 1 of the series so they can't end up all happy and wonderful, right? Was someone going to die? Was a massive miscommunication or sacrifice going to mess up all their relationship work? I'm not going to spoil anything, but the "twist" I was expecting ended up being not has horrible as I braced myself for, leaving me pleasantly surprised and eager for more books! Where are they? Give them to me now!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment