Monday, October 8, 2018

Review: Vampires Like It Hot

Vampires Like It Hot Vampires Like It Hot by Lynsay Sands
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was yet another installment in the never-ending series about the Argeneau’s and their extended family. I don’t think you’d actually need to have read any other books to start here, but I’m just not wired that way.

Jess is an attendee at a destination wedding tasked with babysitting the bride’s evil sister. Maybe not evil, but she certainly manages to find a way to spoil most activities for her. Chasing after her ends up putting her on a pirate ship filled with vampires that leaves her no choice but to escape overboard. Raffaele is playing babysitter himself, except to his fellow vampire/immortal as he heals from the physiological trauma he’s endured. Saving a woman floating in the ocean comes naturally to him, but even he’s surprised when he life mate turns up in the off season at a resort.

There is a lot of deception and misdirection as Raffaele tries to win over Jess and overcome her natural fear of vampires (and pirates). There’s a lot of kidnapping threats, sneaking around, travel, and sexy times thrown into a short amount of time for these two. While the book ends happily (not for everyone), I don’t think this book was my favorite. Ultimately I think the reason for that was the character of Jess. In theory, she should have been like any other tough chick character – resilient and strong, able to overcome her past and the fact that they are vampires to make the difficult decisions. Sure, she’s got all the components to make her a great character, but her actions were all over the place. One particular sticking point with me was the fact that she started the book (and got into this whole mess) because she felt responsible for her mean cousin. Said cousin may be mean and may have bad motivations, but if Jess really was this great person, I don’t understand why she would laugh about her cousin being stuck with a sexually abusive guy. It just seemed… strange and off-putting. It made me second guess Jess and Raffaele actually being a good match. Maybe it was just me?


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment