Monday, March 2, 2015

Review: The Ruby Circle


The Ruby Circle
The Ruby Circle by Richelle Mead

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I'm not quite sure how to rate this one. It's the end of some wonderful time spent with Adrian (and Sydney) but it didn't have the fireworks that I wanted to get out of a series ending book. Don't get me wrong, the ending is satisfying and filled with happiness, but I guess I just wanted... more?

We pick up with Adrian and Sydney after their "coming out" as husband and wife in front of members of court. They've been given sanctuary, but it is really just a pretty prison (at least for Sydney). Oh, and they're living with Adrian's mom (weird). Poor Jill is still kidnapped, but I don't really think she gets a lot of focus in this book. Instead, Sydney is sent on a wild goose chase, following riddles with the help of her old witch mentor. Some old baddies come back, some family history is shockingly revealed, and we spend even more time with Adrian's ex-BFF Nina.

In the category of "things that have to get tied up in this book" we got some resolution to the Warriors, Alchemist reprogramming, Olive (who I didn't understand why we cared about until this book), Jill/Eddie, and spirit's powers. There is a good dose of "Adrian don't use spirit" thrown around that got a little tiresome, but I still am completely in love with Sydney and Adrian. Maybe I suffer from the Mulder/Scully syndrome where I am not as in love with them now that they're together, but these two are still wonderful to watch. We also get to check in with Rose and Dimitri which is also awesome. Overall, this was a good finale but lacked the kind of crazy action and excitement that some of the earlier books had. I'll continue to give 100 more of these books 4 stars just because I'm in love with this world (and Adrian). I really hope this world continues in some other way in the future.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment