Saturday, September 7, 2013

Review: Oaths of Blood


Oaths of Blood
Oaths of Blood by S.M. Reine

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



This series just keeps getting better and better.

A lot of big events happened in this book that I won't spoil, but I will say that I'm 100% on board with wherever this series will take me. I trust this author to give me a rich and gritty story that never fails to surprise me. There was clearly a lot of work done to tie in so many story lines and characters, and it shows in the final product.

If I had to sum up the plot in a neat package, I'd say this: Elise and Riley join forces again to try to beat back the encroaching demon army. That doesn't even begin to sum up all that happens in this book, but it's a good start. This second installment in the Ascension Series really took me on a roller-coaster ride of action and emotion. The POVs in this book rotate mostly between Elise and Seth, which is just a big pile of angsty minds.

We also get to check in with a lot of familiar faces, including Brianna, who I really fell in love with in this book. Her spunky internal dialogue was just the perfect amount of relief I needed from the emotional turmoil we see in almost all the other characters. James and Elise are still just as broken as always, but I still never fail to shiver when they run into one another. The author really knows how to get me wanting something so badly, while at the same time knowing that it should never ever happen. Sigh.

I really love these books, in case you couldn't tell. They are just the right amount of urban fantasy mixed with the hope of romance. We are left at the end of this book with a lot of stories just starting to take shape. It's not quite a cliffhanger, but definitely a firm push to read the next book in the series (which, of course, I will!).



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment