Monday, August 26, 2019

Review: The Single Undead Moms Club

The Single Undead Moms Club The Single Undead Moms Club by Molly Harper
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

OK, I gotta admit - I had my doubts about this one. I'm not a big fan of mommy/son books, especially when it is smack dab in the middle of a series filled with paranormal romance. How does romance fit in with kids and vampirism? Well, quite well, actually.

Once I let go of the romance angle, I was much happier with this book. Libby is a single mom, raising a kid while managing her overbearing in-laws and a terminal illness. The obvious solution - become a vampire! Sure, there were some mistakes made, but Libby is a pretty darn good vampire after all of this. Of course, Dick and Jane are tasked with foster-siring her since her sire accepted an ad on craig's list (not the safest, best role model). Libby and Danny rapidly grew on me - and then we met Wade.

Wade and Libby are the typical angry frenemies that grow into way more. Their relationship is angsty, then awesome on the turn of a dime. This book is definitely not the typical, formulaic installment, and instead goes into a bit of murder-mystery (like the Jane books), peppered in some romance, and then topped it off with family stuff. There are a bunch of familiar faces at PTA meetings, bake sales, and all sorts of oher places that the series has never taken us before. While Libby's sire and friend were not my favorite, this book was still shockingly one of my new favorites.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment