Monday, May 12, 2014

Review: Secret Unleashed


Secret Unleashed
Secret Unleashed by Sierra Dean

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I love this series. I really love the characters. That’s probably why it was so very hard for me to read this book. It’s a really good read – don’t get me wrong. The writing is good, the characters are good, but the subject matter and what happens in this one are what made it difficult for me to read (and review) this one. This book was significantly darker and more gritty than the rest, so be warned that this isn’t the usual fun romp you’d expect from a Secret book.

Secret is still working hard to get her life back on track (if it ever was). Now that one of the most dangerous vampires from her past is free, she’s pretty much on the run. Sig tasks her with something that sounds relatively simple, but in true secret fashion ends up becoming a gigantic ordeal. Secret and Holden head off to handle one of Sig’s bloodline that has gone missing while on a mission. Without spoiling things, this person she’s looking for ends up being far more significant than she was led to believe.

While nothing that has been building over the last few books gets resolved here, there are a lot of major developments. Secret gets damaged pretty badly in this one, more than ever before and in ways we’ve never seen her get hurt. She’s still solidly in her love triangle, but everything has changed. I’m a little conflicted. I don’t like what happened in this one, but I’m interested to see how Secret handles everything. I miss the Secret who seemed to bounce back from everything with a sarcastic and flirty flare, but I know that if she stayed the same throughout this entire series it would get boring. I want all the outstanding issues in Secret’s life to get resolved, but I don’t want a story without any surprises or “big bads.” It’s very hard to say whether I liked the content of this book or not, but I still love this series, so that’s saying something.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment