Saturday, September 10, 2022

Death’s Mistress

Death's Mistress (Dorina Basarab, #2)Death's Mistress by Karen Chance
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book broke my book club, so while I’m giving it 4 stars for where we ended up, it gets a little tough from the start. As someone who has read the other series with Cassie and understand a bit more about this world, maybe that’s needed to properly follow a lot of the chaotic, messy scenes with little explanation thrown in.

Dorina is now working with her dreaded father. This is OK, but I wish there was a lot more troll involvement in this book. What ultimately ends up being the story revolves around a rune that was supposed to be gifted to Dorina’s roommate’s son, the heir to the thrown. Said rune is stolen, sold in a very complicated and confusing tale, and for some reason only Dorina can get it back. Maybe it’s because she has enemies in all the factions involved? Either way, she’s on the case and the smut level was low until L-C (I’m not spelling his name out and fighting autocorrect every time) shows up to immediately up the smut.

L-C is on a mission of his own to get back the much discussed Christine. Yeah, that doesn’t quite go the way he wanted. I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention Ray, who’s the undisputed star of this book. He’s a decapitated vampire who ends up playing a huge role and probably saving stuff more than Dorina throughout the book. Maybe he and the trolls can get a spinoff series. While this book was clearly a turning point book, I’m a little scared where it will go. Since my book club has given up on the seres, this leaves me all alone to power through. It is a little exhausting reading these books in the way that reading the Cassie series is exhausting. So little time passes and so very much damage is accrued. It seems unsustainable and makes me want to take a nap.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment