Saturday, December 4, 2021

Magic Dark, Magic Divine

Magic Dark, Magic Divine (Warrior of the Divine Sword #1)Magic Dark, Magic Divine by A.J. Locke
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book was fantastic! I'm so glad I took a chance on an author I didn't know and read this book!

This universe is one where magic used to exist, but, due to a big bad, lots of sacrifice, and no other choice, they had to stop the flow of magic. The result is that people are no longer born with magical abilities, but they know the history of magic and its traits. Penn, our main character, comes from the time of magic. Due to some bad choices on her part, she ends up sleeping through the apocalyptic fight that stops magic and wakes up many years later to find a world she doesn't recognize. Oh, and she also the only magical person left, she figures out.

This discovery and her journey to adapt to the new world leads her to become a pretty closed off person, only befriending two people really. Even those two people have no idea she is a "shaper," someone who can magically shape objects. Her secret, however, is busted wide open when magical evildoers resurface, putting everything in jeopardy. I don't want to spoil a second of this book because it was so captivating, but there is also a parallel romantic story to satisfy the PNR reader in me. Callan, one of Penn's coworkers, ends up drawn into the drama too, leading her to re-assess her assumption that he's a jerk (I mean, he kind of was). Their romance was like a breath of fresh air - coming at it as equals rather than a damsel scenario.

I can't say enough good things about this book. It really checked all the boxes for me in truly unexpected ways. I can't wait to see where the series goes next, having gone through all the trials of this first installment.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment