Monday, January 23, 2017

Review: Thirst

Thirst Thirst by Jacquelyn Frank
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This brand new series was definitely something unique and unexpected. I’m not sure what I was expecting when I picked up this energy vampire book, but it certainly wasn’t this much… electricity.

The story is something familiar – a love story. The twist comes in the form of the players and their surrounding backstories. Rafe is an energy vampire who happens to have a very high standing in their community. He’s been tasked with keeping things under control in a relatively political way. When a member of his community goes off the rails and ends up killing someone in broad daylight, he’s forced to slip into the investigation any way he can.

The lead investigator, Renee, is truly his biggest temptation. As a “good” energy vampire (as opposed to the “bad” ones, called sycophants), he’s looking for pure energy sources. I don’t really agree with the thinking here, but in this book it involved eating only organic and taking care of your body (no drugs, no alcohol, working out, etc.). This got to be a little preachy at times, but it could be my scientific background that is playing into this. Anyway, when they meet, the sparks fly (literally), and what starts out as a fact-finding mission soon becomes a true romance. There are some stigmas attached to dating your “food,” but Renee easily proves worth the risk.

As the start of a new series, it had everything you could be looking for – romance, action, mystery, and a very happy ending. We met a lot of interesting and well-developed characters that I’m sure we’ll see more of in future installments. As I’m familiar with the author, I wasn’t surprised by the high level of storytelling and would gladly read more from her in the future.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment