Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Review: Industrial Magic


Industrial Magic
Industrial Magic by Kelley Armstrong

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



This book gave me exactly what I wanted – more Lucas and Paige. I am absolutely in love with them as a couple and even though this book was filled with your typical relationship drama and misunderstandings (and awkward family moments); it still gave me some quality time with the two of them. The last book was a mostly Savannah-centric story while this one has her absent for most of the time. Instead, this reads as a sort of “road trip” book, where a lot of faces from the past pop up to help with this complicated investigation.

The big mystery of this book begins with the race to find the Cabal kid killer. Lucas’s father uses his weaknesses against him to drag him into the investigation, but he probably would have accepted the case either way. We get some insider looks into the family drama that is the Cortez family. Paige manages to handle the twisty-turny way they deal with one another rather well, proving that she is the ultimate partner for Lucas. I think even Lucas’s father would agree with me by the end of the book. Most of the book is spent hopping from place to place, balancing trying to protect the next possible victim and finding the murderer. Along with learning more about Lucas’s family, we get a nice refresher on what other paranormals are out there. We’ve got vampires, werewolves, clairvoyants, snarky famous necromancers, and ghosts. We even get to sneak a peek at the possible afterlife.

Among the notable cameos and new character introductions is (of course) Jaime. She made a little appearance in the last book but was a very prominent character (that helps?) in this book. A few of my friends have said she is their favorite, but I’m not quite there yet. She’s quirky and undoubtedly has her own motivation for teaming up with Lucas and Paige, but I’m not quite sure how I feel about her yet. One thing that this book did that made me a little uncomfortable is that it started selling Eve to me as something other than a “bad guy.” I should’ve seen this coming, having been a big part of the Savannah storyline, but it still caught me a little off guard. Eve is supposed to be the bad guy and I had a difficult time accepting her as anything else. If this book has a theme, I guess that would be it: not everyone is as they appear to be. I’m also a little scared about the next book, seeing that Lucas and Paige might not be the central characters. I will miss spending my time with them, but I hear the series gets better and better.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment