Saturday, January 29, 2022

Second Nature

Second NatureSecond Nature by Amber Boudreau
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book really drew me in. At first, I wasn't sure what to make of Mavis, but she definitely grew on me.

Mavis has amnesia. She came awake in a hospital with no memory of her earlier years. While she remembers some basics of her "previous life" like how to make cookies or that she never learned to drive, the rest is a blank. After an extended stay under the care of an attentive doctor and mean nurse, she ended up renting a studio apartment in town with money she makes from a receptionist gig at a car repair place. Her boss is surly, but accommodating, and she's made some friends in town, but there's still something missing (other than her memory).

Through a bit of nosey behavior, some sleuthing, and some truly insane twist and turns, she ends up uncovering more than just her own information. With a world and story this big, it's clear that it couldn't wrap everything up in one installment. Still, I was sad that we end the book on a little bit of a "to be continued" setup. I want to know more about how Mavis lives with her new truth and where she goes next. I guess that's where book 2 will take us, though.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment