Saturday, March 27, 2021

Demons and DNA (Amplifier #1)

Demons and DNA (Amplifier #1)Demons and DNA by Meghan Ciana Doidge
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I've got to admit dragging my feet on this one. I've read all the other books in this world, so this was holding up my "complete" status, but after reading the novella before this I had trouble caring about the characters. I get that they are supposed to be a bit programmed by the organization that created them, but it was an issue for me. This book had me hooked by the end, though, so I guess I'd recommend reading the novella after you take a trip in this one.

Emma and Christopher are on the run, but laying "low" in a small town. Emma has reluctantly adapted and even sort-of made friends by the time Aiden shows up. Since avoiding adepts in any form is rule#1, inviting a sorcerer back home with them to heal is not exactly a smart move. It's the first of many choices that ends up forcing them to confront their past in new and interesting ways.

It's pretty impossible to do a quick summary here without spoiling things, so I would sum up the elements of the book as an action sort-of-coming-of-age type story with paranormal elements. There's a hint of romantic story, but the focus is really on the "broken" engineered kids and how they are adapting to society. I'm curious where this world will take us and if we will cross paths with any familiar faces from the other series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment