Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Review: Cursed by Fire

Cursed by Fire Cursed by Fire by Danielle Annett
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I swung back around to this book, the start of the series, when I unknowingly dove into the spin-off that was just released. Having enjoyed that one, I figured it couldn't hurt to start at the beginning.

This book sets the stage for this world. Supernaturals have come out of the closet, don't particularly like one another (but maintain a truce), and have essentially collapsed the government. I'm not a fan of dystopian books, and this skirts the line, but I just couldn't put it down. Ari reads like a Jessica Jones-type character. She's a mercenary, though that ends up being something like a detective/bounty hunter in this universe. Having lost her parents when she was a teenager, she's also developed a hard outer shell (like an M&M) that takes some particularly determined and snarky people to get inside.

The few exceptions to her shell include James, a pack Hunter, and the person who has let her in on the inner workings of said mysterious pack. They get tasked with working together to solve a shifter kid's murder that leads them into all sorts of twisty-turny avenues. Oh, and I forgot to mention she's got pyrokinetic powers. It ends up being what attracts another magic/not-magic person to her - Inarus. He's got telekinetic powers, and much better control, so while he is a big of a good/bad guy, we tolerate him here.

This book certainly sets up a universe I want to be a part of. I admit to already being on book 3 right now because I just couldn't stop reading. While it isn't necessarily a cliffhanger ending, I desperately wanted more from these characters and that pushed me into reading book 2 *immediately* following this one.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment