Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Review: Lonesome Paladin

Lonesome Paladin Lonesome Paladin by S.M. Reine
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Wow, these spinoff books just keep me constantly guessing. While I’ve read all the other books in this world, the characters continue to surprise me.

If this is your introduction to this author’s wonderful world, welcome! There is a *a lot* going on, so you’d better be prepared for a fast-paced, wild and crazy ride! First off, we’ve got the main players. In this instance, we bounce around between 3-ish characters: Lincoln (a surly, racist, ex-boyfriend to a key player in some events leading up to this time), Cesar (a womanizing ex-witch with family in high places), and Sophie (an unknown entity who knows way more than she should about almost everything). The true guide in this story is Lincoln (unfortunately, because he’s a jerk), but I definitely wanted more Cesar (especially after that ending!!!).

Lincoln finds himself with no real purpose in life. Like most people, the “void” changed him and left him with nowhere to go. He has no living connections left, is constantly starting fights, and is riddled with guilt over his long-ago actions while possessed. As a true gift, he suddenly finds himself embroiled in OPA drama of the fae kind. By showing up in some database as having a rather unique history, he is tasked with getting Cesar to his sister in the Middle Worlds.

Here’s where it gets crazy (or more crazy). There’s all sorts of unexplainable magical things in the Middle Worlds and most of them try to kill Lincoln, Cesar, and their new companion, Sophie. Throw in some killer unicorns and I’m absolutely hooked. While I may not want to live inside Lincoln’s head, I’m very interested in where he might end up. As this was just the first of what I’m sure will be many adventures (or religious quests?), I can’t wait to see what happens next!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment