Saturday, April 7, 2018

Review: High Voltage

High Voltage High Voltage by Karen Marie Moning
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I will say one thing for KMM - she keeps me guessing. I think I've been so beaten down by cliffhangers and frustrating endings that when things seem to end happily, I feel... unsatisfied? I'm a little concerned that I've suffered some irreparable trauma from the Fever series. I also have no clue how I actually feel about this book. It is definitely the start of a new set of books but... where do we go from here?

So, remember Dani and Ryodan? Ball of sexual frustration? Well we start the book with them separating for a while (what?!) leaving Dani as the lone superhero left to take care of Dublin. She's doing a great job, seeing the "invisible" members of the city, but even superheroes need friends. With everyone off on their own adventure, this leaves Dani to ponder the ever-growing black hand issue in her own head. She's also tied her hands by agreeing to not attack Fae while Mac gets her bearings. In a blatant plot device, something ends up bringing Ryodan and his gang back and then all hell breaks loose. There's high voltage (yeah, there is) and a surprising reveal. There's even an ending that feels sort of... final? I guess we end up hopping around to give everyone a happy ending? Do all the nine end up getting one? I don't know what I want to happen anymore...

The somewhat side story in this tale is the Kat/Cruce reveal and handling the fallout from that. I honestly could have done without this, but maybe it will end up going somewhere cool in the future books? Who knows - I certainly don't think KMM knows right now. It was nice to have a "visit" from Mac, but she was definitely missing in this book. While it was easy to focus on Dani and Ryodan's tale, what's a Fever book without some Mac and Barrons?

So, yeah, overall this was a good book? I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't this. There was even some pervy business thrown in that brings me back to the start of Dani's story. Oh, and as a side gripe - how about we format kindle books properly so they end at 100% instead of a surprise at <90%?

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment