Friday, May 15, 2015

Review: Affliction (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #22)

Affliction (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #22)Affliction by Laurell K. Hamilton
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm not really even sure how to review these books anymore. If this is the first book you're planning on reading in the series - don't. 22 books in, you've kind of learned what to expect in the series. There's a lot of sex. There's a lot of time spent describing the guys, having relationship drama, and worrying in situations where time is of the essence. If that is going to bother you, why are you reading this series? I've come to accept them as the little mindless reads they are.

This story had some goodness in the form of lots of Ted/Edward, necromancy bad-assery, and actual relationship decisions. The story itself was definitely the usual throwaway. The only difference here was that we got to meet Micah's father and see that his estranged family is (shockingly) also a non-traditional family now. A zombie virus is attacking Micah's old home town and he gets called in to say a final goodbye to his father. While that seems sad and interesting, it kind of spirals out of control from there. Is it a zombie apocalypse? Is it the return of some horrible vampire plague? In the end, it doesn't matter, because it just ends up throwing Anita and Ted into wonderful action scenes that make me love Ted/Edward even more.

The smutty stuff is still hot and sizzling, but does drive you to want to shake Anita when she takes time to make out while Micah's dad's life is draining away by the minute. I still love Jean-Claude so I was happy he made an appearance, too, but it is pretty brief. This is definitely an Anita and the B-team type book. There was an awful lot of Nicky instead of Micah (who you think would be more of a co-star in a book about his dad dying). As you can see by my review, the book has left me a little disjointed in my ramblings, but, again, you know what you're getting into when you start one of these books. I'll keep reading them until they stop getting written.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment