Friday, December 29, 2023

Instincts and Impostors

Instincts and Impostors (Amplifier, #5)Instincts and Impostors by Meghan Ciana Doidge
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I took a little while between books in this series before coming back to book #5. I’ve read all the other books in this world as they overlap timeline-wise, but it was still kind of jarring to join back in with the very… robotic (?) Emma. I eventually got over the learning curve here, but it definitely took a little while.

Emma is taking Opal to a cover retreat at the start of the book. While it’s only supposed to be them going with their fellow-witch-ish friend, it ends up bringing along most if not all the characters in some form or another. Also, if you’re a reader of the other series, we get lots of familiar faces for the coven. What should be a somewhat simple matter is made into a big ordeal that starts with a strange witch showing up with a raven. It snowballs from there, involving Paisley, Aiden, and Emma as they band together to save their little family.

I really did enjoy how much Emma manages to pull through as a leader when all her newfound emotions are rebelling. The way that she almost instantly makes really difficult decision is crazy, but fun to watch. I was on the edge of my seat until the end of this book, hoping for the best and generally being rewarded for it. You’ve done it again - I’m back on Team Emma.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment