Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Review: Boundary Haunted

Boundary Haunted Boundary Haunted by Melissa F. Olson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book was near perfect in my mind - filled with mystery, action, paranormal tough chick goodness, and everything that makes Lex awesome. If you're joining this show already in progress, I'd recommend you back it up and start with Book#1. This world has a lot of baggage you'll want to unpack.

Lex is beautifully broken in this book. She's human (kind-of), so she's actually showing the strain of the traumatic events she's recently gone through. Shocker, right? Usually we power through and the tough girls just ignore what's bothering them. Don't get me wrong - Lex tries the ignore option, but supernatural drama puts her in the unique place to face her fears and accept an out of town assignment that will involve lots and lots of ghosts. You know, the thing that traumatized her in her most recent death defying adventure.

Right after she shows up, it's clear that the job was not truthfully explained. Beau, the local crazy head honcho vampire, also sees ghosts, so these two have something in common. They begrudgingly develop a bit of respect for one another, only to have everything get turned on its head and go badly. There's injuries, not Dresden-level ones, but still, these books are filled with wounds, both physically and emotionally. I fell more in love with Lex in this one, though, and now I'm firmly Team Lex.

Since this is a road trip type book, we don't get everyone for as much as you'd expect - namely Quinn and Maven. I think this was a nice change and gave us a chance to see Lex as her own person. Maybe that's why I think I liked this book best so far out of the series? It was nice to be pretty surprised by a book that's 5 into this series and several into this world. I can't wait to see what Lex does next!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment