Friday, April 28, 2017

Review: Hunter's Trail

Hunter's Trail Hunter's Trail by Melissa F. Olson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

While I still really enjoy the sarcastic, punchy, love-triangle-prone character of Scarlett, I’m eager to take a little break before coming back to her after this adventure. Where the last book focused an awful lot on driving, this one was all about her knee. I’m kidding, of course, but it still should get listed as a co-star of the book.

This book, the end of the trilogy, definitely wraps things up in a nice way. We join Scarlett in the aftermath of the impulsive decision made at the end of the last book. If you’re just joining here… don’t. This is not the place to start. With all the baggage leading up to this installment, you’re better off diving into the next trilogy, or starting at book 1. That being said, so Scarlett did that thing. It apparently messed up the thing I would least expect – her knee. Who knew? After these few books with her ramping up from normal damage to Dresden-like damage levels, I guess everything is fair game.

So the big bad in this story has to do with the werewolves. There’s some murdered women showing up on the alpha’s doorstep (literally) and somehow Scarlett has gotten tasked with solving it. Together with dark cloud/constantly conflicted man, Jesse, they have to put themselves into pack drama while avoiding talking about Eli and his mysterious disappearance. Can you tell I’m kind of sick of Jesse, too? At some point he has to make a choice, and I’m getting really tired of him painting himself as the good guy and the bad guy at the same time.

So obviously they end up solving the mystery and avoiding certain doom. That wasn’t really my main focus, of course. I was more interested in some sort of resolution for Scarlett. Her decisions, while always infuriating, were slightly less so in this book. I’m especially fond of her new pet, who I saw in later books and was slightly spoiled about. As a person who must complete a series, this was a nice way to end the trilogy, even if I was reluctant to read this one. I’m happy where everyone ended up but would expect better from Jesse in the future.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment