Monday, November 3, 2014

Review: Dime Store Magic


Dime Store Magic
Dime Store Magic by Kelley Armstrong

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I put off reading this book for a long, long time. I read the first few books of this series (about werewolves) a while ago and then just couldn’t get myself to read this one. Maybe it was because I wasn’t in love with the idea of reading a book about a witch I barely knew and her adoptive daughter. Silly me, I should’ve read this book ages ago! If anyone out there has stalled after reading the first few books, listen to me – keep going! It gets so much better!

Paige is the star of this installment and she is pretty awesome. She is leader of the coven and has somehow managed to shape Savannah into something that looks like young adult normality. Sure, she still practices dangerous magics. And, yes, she knows way too much about dark magic. All that aside, she’s kind of a normal girl, trying to grow up in a household filled with magic. There’s hormones running rampant and not nearly the amount of fighting you’d expect to see. Unfortunately for this mostly happy family, Paige gets issued a notice contesting custody. This introduces us to the complicated world of Cabals, or in Paige’s analogies, the sorcerer mafia. In Paige’s time of need, the coven appears to abandon her, leaving her with little choice but to take the services of a sorcerer attorney.

I’m glossing over a lot of fighting, stubbornness, and adorably uptight verbal onslaughts. Lucas, the sorcerer attorney, is the best. If for nothing else, you should read this book because he is amazing. He might be my new favorite character of the series. He knows how to tame the wild Savannah, calm the fiery Paige, and balance the many worlds he has a stake in. Oh, and he’s adorable. Throw all those things together, add a lot of action, teenage hormones, and you’ve got a wild and crazy ride from start to finish. Oh, and hotness. There is much hotness to be had.

While you don’t get a solid HEA, you get what accounts for most of one after all the crazy things that happened in this book. The next book continues with the witches’ storyline, so you shouldn’t expect all the loose ends to be completely tied up, right? I can’t wait for more Lucas.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment