Saturday, November 4, 2023

Time’s Fool

Time's Fool (Dorina Basarab #6)Time's Fool by Karen Chance
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

What did I just read? I checked a few times to make sure this wasn’t some spin-off in a spin-off series but somehow this is deemed part of the Dorina series itself. Why? This is largely a story about Kit and his younger love story. Dorina is there but more of a supporting character than anything and certainly not in her current form. At this point I have no idea why this fits in anywhere and should instead be deemed a novella side plot.

For some reason Dorina is flung all over time to hunt down some big bad. There’s a lot of sacrifice involved, coven nonsense, Kit but much younger and less jaded, Mircea with his secrets, and time travel. Lots of time travel. It was exhausting in the way that Cassie’s books are exhausting but definitely not fun. I enjoy the writing but honestly felt myself tuning out when there is just so much history unnecessarily thrown in. Women took herbs to have abortions - OK, why do we need to know this now? Can we please progress the plot. There are long, drawn out stories just to… educate us? It reads like a historical novel instead of the paranormal romp I would have much preferred.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment